Top 11 Construction Submittal Software Solutions
A construction submittal plays a critical role in the overall construction process. They allow designers, engineers, and owners to know exactly what their contractors are doing and what materials and other items they plan on working with. Submittals come in the form of product samples, equipment reports, data sheets, and more, which are submitted so they can be reviewed and approved prior to work beginning.
While they serve a critical role, they also represent a significant bottleneck. Contractors need to get their samples and paperwork together and send it to the architects quickly so that the project won’t be delayed. Then architects and other reviewers need to stop what they’re doing and take the time to thoroughly inspect them and provide their report. Everyone then needs to be notified of the result, and then adjust course accordingly. Sometimes a new material will be requested, or other times the one submitted will be considered acceptable. Finally, the entire process and result needs to be securely recorded so it can be referenced in the future, as needed.
This process takes time, and lots of handholding. Project managers typically need to keep the submittal process moving, otherwise it will get bottlenecked at some point and potentially cause delays.
Enter Construction Project Management Software. Beyond being platforms that streamline schedules, procurement, timecards, and more, Construction Project Management systems facilitate fast submittal resolutions.
Here are some of the leading construction project management systems that incorporate best-in-class submittal processing.
1) Linarc. Linarc is one of the newest entrants to the Construction Project Management space. Its offering incorporates a reimagined & built-from-the-ground-up take on construction project management software. After years of consulting with construction managers and workers, it addresses the core pain-points that construction teams face. The handling of submittals is one of the key areas that causes delays and take unnecessary time. Linarc’s handles this gracefully with customized automated workflows. Simply define your submittal process, and let us manage it from there.
2) Autodesk Construction Cloud. Autodesk Construction Cloud provides a robust submittal system. They leverage the submittal log as ground zero for all things submittal. Users can create, coordinate, and manage all their submittals and enjoy complete visibility into each of their statuses. Construction Cloud’s offering is incorporated into Autodesk’s overall offering and is the submittal tool most of its users would select.
3) Procore. Procore rounds out its construction software offering with a reliable submittal tool. Beyond keeping everything organized in the register, they allow you to mark up and stamp the submittals directly within their product. You won’t have to spend much time researching where to find them as their search feature is easy to use.
4) CMFusion. Perhaps one of the lesser known offerings on the list, CMFusion comes complete with a submittal review system. Sometimes working with an emerging brand can have its benefits as they’re more attentive to customer needs. CMFusion offers clear assignment and status checking, versioning, and is cloud based. Submittal management is part of their core offering, so when you sign up for CMFusion, you get their submittal application along with it.
5) RedTeam. Described by some as having a bit of a cumbersome submittal tool, RedTeam delivers a product that will get the job done. You can create requests directly from within their project management interface, and be sure you have full insight into their progress and status.
6) Buildern. Buildern is an emerging construction management software solution that’s still in development. Their submittal tool is planned and will be deployed in due time. Sometimes it’s best to get in early.
7) Fieldwire. Fieldwire touts one of the more attractive free offerings to allow people easy entrance into its product. While most of its product offerings come with their paid plans, you can still give it a spin to see if it’s the right choice for you. Among its features are a submittals tracking tool. True to its name, you can track submittals from the field.
8) eSUB. eSUB includes a submittal package within its broader software offering for subcontractors. With easy Excel import, thoughtful reminders, and flexible workflows, it takes the hard work out of submittal processing and monitoring.
9) HCSS. HCSS’s submittal management tool was added over the last few years. Now an integrated part of the broader construction software offering, HCSS handles the details of your submittals seamlessly. Included in their Heavy Job offering, you’ll never lose track of a submittal again.
10) InEight. InEight’s Cloud Based construction management software platform comes with everything you need to keep accurate records of your submittals. Its core features are centralized submittal management in a single repository, universal accessibility, improved collaboration and communication, and more efficient workflow processes.
11) Oracle Primavera. Primavera Submittal Exchange Cloud Service is Oracle’s implementation of online submittal handling. It’s an easy to use interface that decreases paperwork and speeds the resolution of your submittals. Enjoy fewer delays and clear communications while processing submittals with Primavera.
These are just a few of the submittal management offerings from leading construction management software providers. From Linarc’s customizable workflows, to some alternatives with their various approaches, all aim to reduce the amount of work that goes into maintaining them.
How to decide which is right for you?
Ultimately, submittal management is integrated into a broader construction software offering. So evaluating how a product handles submittals is part of your overall assessment of a product. While some submittal offerings have mild reviews, perhaps other features of theirs are exactly what you’re looking for. And some offerings are from established behemoths in the construction software industry, others are from newer entrants who can learn from the existing platforms and build better alternatives. While having the security of a larger company can be perceived as a benefit, it also means their products are less likely to change to accommodate your needs. Emerging companies on the other hand, are more likely to be responsive to customer requests, as they will work harder to keep their clientele happy.
In all cases, when selecting a construction management solution, be sure to get a demo on how it handles submittals and judge for yourself if it’s the right tool for you.
Sign up for a free demo with Linarc today, and ask about our submittal process and automated resolution workflows.